Get ready for December with our winter heating checklist
Is your home ready for the winter season?
It’s vitally important to ensure your central heating system is prepared for the colder months. An unexpected boiler breakdown or leaky roof can wreak havoc with your Christmas plans; potentially causing further damage to your property and putting your family’s health at risk.
The good news is, getting your home winter-ready couldn’t be simpler – just follow our handy checklist below!
Test your thermostat
Spend some time adjusting the temperature control on your thermostat, check if your central heating is responding to your adjustments, and use a digital thermometer to compare the temperature shown on the thermostat with the actual room temperature.
If you’re having issues, there are a couple of things you can try:
- If your thermostat is a handheld unit, try replacing the batteries first.
- If your thermostat is programmable or controlled via an app, make sure your settings aren’t overriding any manual adjustments
- Make sure your thermostat is located away from any heat sources, such as lamps or even direct sunlight – this can produce a false temperature reading
- For older thermostat models in particular, try clearing any dust or debris from the controls
- Try recalibrating your thermostat – instructions for this will be available on the thermostat casing, the instruction manual or by contacting the manufacturer.
- If all else fails, get a professional engineer to take a look at your central heating for you.
Remember to test any individual radiator thermostats too – and try to avoid placing furniture in a way that obstructs radiator airflow.
Get your boiler serviced
If it’s been more than 12 months since your last servicing appointment, now’s the time to book your next one.
Regular servicing is essential; not just for detecting issues and improving boiler efficiency, but also preventing dangerous blockages and harmful carbon monoxide leaks.
Always be sure to hire a Gas Safe-accredited engineer for your boiler servicing – this means that they’re fully qualified to carry out gas work competently, safely and legally.
Harrow Gas Services can provide boiler servicing, power flushing and even replacement boiler installations to get your home’s central heating ready for the winter. Call us on 07402 806032 to see how we can help you.